Monday, March 3, 2008

I’m out in the cold

Someone told me I should write about the cold. Well, as I was wiping my nose, shivering, and feeling ambivalent about my sandwich, while watching my basketball team commit a ten-point turnaround, I blinked incomprehensibly. And which "cold" would that be?

Well, I checked dictionary.com just in case I could "heap some more wood on the fire," and I did, but it didn’t warm me up any. So here is a completely useless compendium of "cold" and the related usages according to Bertha. I skipped a few of the entries, which is all right since I thought of a couple of idioms on my own.

cold (kōld) adj., cold·er, cold·est
1. having a relatively low temperature; having little or no warmth: It has been extremely cold this winter.
2. feeling an uncomfortable lack of warmth; chilled: Bertha has been uncomfortably cold for five months now.
3. having a temperature lower than the normal temperature of the human body: She has cold hands, cold feet, cold nose…
4. not affectionate, cordial, or friendly; unresponsive; dispassionate: Winter gets a cold reception from me.
5. failing to excite feeling or interest: Father Butterbean attacked the snow-covered sidewalk with cold precision and a worn-out snow shovel.
6. depressing; dispiriting: With fog descending, it was going to be a cold, gloomy lifetime.
7. unconscious because of a severe blow, shock, etc.: Father slipped on the ice and knocked himself out cold.
8. So intense as to be almost uncontrollable: The character "Jack Frost" inspires my cold hatred.
9. faint; weak: The dog’s trail in three feet of snow was hardly cold.
10. (in games) distance from the object of search or the correct answer. Well, am I hot or cold now?
11. Slang. (in sports and games) not scoring or winning; ineffective: Sometimes the Jazz are cold this season.

-noun
12. the relative absence of heat: Bertha suffers from the incessant cold, even with many layers of clothing..
13. the sensation produced by loss of heat from the body, as by contact with anything having a lower temperature than that of the body: She cringes every morning when thinking about the cold of the bathroom tile on her feet.
14. cold weather: We can’t take much more of this cold.
15. Also called common cold. a respiratory disorder characterized by sneezing, sore throat, coughing, etc., caused by an allergic reaction or by a viral, bacterial, or mixed infection. I think I have another cold.

–adverb
16. with complete competence, thoroughness, or certainty; absolutely: He learned sidewalk skating cold.
17. without preparation or prior notice: I progressed from skids to three-sixties cold.
18. in an abrupt, unceremonious manner: He quit shoveling cold.
-Idioms
19. in from the cold, out of a position or condition of exile, concealment, isolation, or alienation: If you think it is spring now, you need to come in from the cold.
20. left out in the cold, neglected; ignored; forgotten: Missing the ski trip did not leave me feeling out in the cold.
21. throw cold water on, to disparage; disapprove of; dampen the enthusiasm of: Mark Eubank threw cold water on my hopes for a January thaw.
22. cold feet, lacking in desire or courage: I was going to go out to the mailbox, but I got cold feet. 23. cold shoulder, not receptive or welcoming: I tried giving winter the cold shoulder, but that didn’t keep it away.

Sounds like a pun festival to me.

So which "cold" is it? Take your pick.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

This one is my favorite so far. I HATE THE WINTER! Let's all move to St. George together.